Sunday, November 04, 2007
Thursday, November 01, 2007
Wednesday, October 24, 2007
Tuesday, October 23, 2007
This is a quick cartoonish sketch I did of monsters hiding under a child's bed.
In keeping with the theme of "fear" I did 2 caricature's of people that scare a lot of us!
And to be fair, this probably scares those guys:
Monday, October 08, 2007
The theme was "fears" so I decided to just do a literal interpretation and draw things that people are afraid of. I played around with different mediums (charcoal is NOT my friend) and styles. Some drawings I worked on for no longer than 1 minute, while others I worked on for hours. Some turned out really well, and some just did not. Seeing as the reason for this blog is to show my progression, I will be posting the good with the bad.
This is the 1st page of the book. Overall it's not the worst thing I did, but I did have a lot of trouble drawing flames. I used several different pencils from a B to 8B.
The next drawing of a jail cell was done using a single sepia pencil. I should have used a ruler to get the lines straight and keep the perspective.
"Bugs" was done using black calligraphy ink and a crow quill pen. I haven't really worked with this medium before. I think it could have been a cool effect, but the paper was too thin to handle the ink and the pen was tearing right through the paper.
Thursday, August 23, 2007
My 1st attempt at drawing the image in Illustrator:
I was playing with gradients a little, but my lines are horrible. I am NOT proficient with the pen tool. Hopefully practice really does make perfect.
My 2nd attempt in Illustrator:
I learned a little bit about mesh gradients, which I incorporated into the shoes and hair. Also, some of the line work is a little better. Maybe in 6 months I'll take another stab at it to see how far I've come.
Edited to add: I didn't export very high quality images from Illustrator, so they are pixelated. The real images are much smoother. If I get around to it, I'll export them as PNG files and post again.
Tuesday, August 07, 2007
I added one small thing to the shamrock from the honeymoon t-shirt, but I think it really looks better. So I made a shape that follows the edge of one leaf, but a little smaller. I filled it with a greyscale gradient, and then set the transparency to "screen" mode.
I also made a small change to the back of the shirt. I added a picture of a typical Ireland road sign and just moved some of the other images around. The road sign was made by using the live trace feature on an image from the internet. Again, a small change, but I think it really improves the overall look. Too bad I made these changes after the shirts have shipped.
Saturday, August 04, 2007
I designed everything in Illustrator CS2. These designs really tested my limited knowledge of the program, and I think I used every technique I know, and may have even learned a think or two in the process. Most of the images were from the web, and then I used the "live trace" and/or "live paint" features. I created the shamrock using the "blend" tool. I saved both images as a PNG file, and uploaded them to CafePress to be printed.
Front of shirt (actual size around 4 inches, located at pocket area):
Back of shirt (centered):
Tuesday, July 31, 2007
Hurry and register as there are only 85 books left!
Saturday, July 21, 2007
Monday, July 16, 2007
The best 2 ideas were a bomb with spikes, and a series of cogs that morphed into the fish. I was thinking of "Spy vs. Spy" when I drew the bomb, and then added spikes to mimic the fish, and just make it look menacing. However, it was mistaken for a stick of dynamite in the fish's butt, so I guess I didn't convey the look I was going for. My friend preferred the cog logo, so I went to work in Illustrator and came up with 3 designs (all basically the same). The design is not finalized yet, and I think I need to work on some aspects (like the tail). Once I get some feedback I will be sure to post updates.
Sunday, July 15, 2007
I took an adult continuing ed drawing class, and one night we had to draw a wine glass still life set-up. We covered the entire piece of paper with carbon dust, and then completed the drawing by adding darker values, or erasing to create lighter values.